An Elephant in the Garden - Michael Morpurgo

Courtesy Internet

16 year old Elizabeth is fleeing from her home town Dresden in Germany. This was during 1945, when Elizabeth's home along with thousands of others turns to ashes under attacks of the RAF. It is not easy to walk miles to America without good food, clothing or shelter. Having to take care an elephant with a humongous appetite or an asthmatic younger brother doesn't help much.

This was my first historical/ war novel, and I must say, I loved it. I had imagined it to be a boring lecture about wars and RAF, but the way Morpurgo incorporated the facts in a story makes it truly lovable. The addition of an elephant not only makes the plot 3D, it also makes it so much more interesting and fascinating. I haven't heard of many places mentioned in this book, yet the way they are described makes them feel more known, unlike the feel I get from classics. The story is not as entertaining as some other genres, but I was able to finish it in around four days. It is definitely not my favorite book, but a good choice if you want to start a new genre. If you are new to the world of books, you should probably read some other novels before picking up this one.

Rating- 4.3/5

Comments