How Hard Can Love Be? ( 2 ) - Holly Bourne

Courtesy

Amber is travelling all the way to America just to spend six weeks with her mother who abandoned her for two years. She expected her mother to spend all their free time together, but is stunned when she learns she is supposed to mainly teach craft to a bunch of noisy kids. While making most of the situation, she falls in love with Kyle, who is completely out of bounds according to her mother. But why should she care about her mother who is not in the least interested in her when she has her besties Lottie and Evie to back her up?

I don't even know why so many people liked it. It was not at all up to my expectations, and the end was pretty boring. I kept expecting it to get better but it just had a few good parts. The plotline was fine but the rest was terrible. I'm actually struggling to find something that was good about it. Even though this book is YA, I found a lot of the dialogues very inappropriate. The jokes which were meant to be funny were mostly (99%) embarrassing and cringeworthy. A lot of things don't seem to fit in and the non-romance in the beginning was just horrible. I didn't think the feminism dimension really stood out, and I was just humiliated at the way Amber and the rest of the characters talk about being a girl. Maybe that's just because I'm an Indian. Amber constantly behaves like a pre-school moody kid, who goes on complaining about her life. Talking the ending, it was horribly unresolved and unsatisfactory. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but it was not what I expected (in a bad way). This is a book which according to me, is better left unread. This is the kind of book which you either love or hate. I didn't really like it, but you might, since there are many good reviews for it. If you happen to read it and like it, please let me know what you like about it.

Rating- 2.3/5

P.S. I'm giving it a 2.3 only because it somehow managed to keep my expectations and spirits high until the end. 

Comments