All The Bright Places - Jennifer Niven

All The Bright Places, Jennifer Niven YA Book Blue Cover Page
Courtesy
 

Violet Markey's sister died in a car accident and ever since, she lost her old personality. Theodore Finch wants to die. Their first meeting is strange but it causes them to pair up for a geography project. As they explore their town, they learn more about each other and their backgrounds, so much so that it is only together that they can be themselves. Slowly, Violet's life gets clearer and less painful, while Finch finds it hard to want to live.

This was a heartbreaking but very insightful story and the plot was remarkable. I wouldn't normally read this genre and I did find the plot too slow for some time. If you want  a tad o suspense or a I-never-thought-of-this ending, this isn't that kind. From the start, the ending is clear, but it is the book one must read to learn about someone's emotional journey. I didn't connect at all with Finch. Maybe because his life is so different from mine. but I read the book for Violet and her thoughts. Her character voice stuck out throughout the book and the way she is always quite clear with what she wants was very relatable for me. Final words on the plot- This is a pure romantic contemporary which might not reason with fans of thriller, suspense or high-paced novels. I can't publish this review without mentioning the fonts and cover. I am a slightly picky reader and I need the font size to be perfect. This book exceeded my expectations in that area. The fonts and font size are perfectly beautiful (I don't know how to describe this). There are also little illustrations in a few areas of the book which you might not understand until you finish the Second Act. And the cover!!! It makes so much sense after you finish reading. If you want to know why the background is blue, or why the title is on sticky notes, or what that bird and flower means, you'll have to read the entire book.

Rating- 4/5

-Saloni Porwal

Comments