Geek to Chic (1) - Holly Smale

Courtesy

Harriet Manners is an unpopular 15 year old. She screws up her friendship with Nat- her BFF, embarrasses herself in front of her entire English class, and when she gets spotted for being a model, she can't resist the chance to metamorphose into a butterfly. To make things more tempting, her colleague Nick is a handsome supermodel. She soon realizes as she faces disaster after disaster, that being a model is not quite so easy. After all this hardwork, she still has confessions to make to people. But then she comes to her make it or break it moment. Its all in her hands now.

Geek to Chick was an ok experience. I honestly didn't expect this but anyways. Parts of Harriet are likeable and you can totally relate. But most of it is exaggeration and a lot of lists. I guess the author really wanted to get into Harriet's skin but all those metaphors and explanations were in my opinion unnecessary. So, the characters and writing style weren't that great, but I loved the plot. I believe it is based on Smale's real experiences. I will continue the series because of the juicy storyline. I did need to reread parts of it that I had skimmed through, because the starting was too boring. I will say that this is a Middle-Grade book, and will suit most ages.

Rating- 3/5

Saloni Porwal


Comments