Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin

Courtesy
 

Naomi Porter forgot the last four years of her life after falling from the stairs. She doesn't remember her boyfriend, best friend, or the fact that her parents are divorced. Everyone is trying to break things slowly, but what happens when she does remember?

I loved reading a book about an orphan who hates being pitied. I read this book twice. The first time, I hated it. I didn't understand most of it and it was just weird. The second time, however was better. Most things became clear to me and I understood Naomi's personality better. It is written in first person, simple past tense, so we have an idea of what Naomi thinks. There were three romances covered in the story which I am new to. The plot was fine, but I mainly read it for the characters and dialogue which were superb. Most of the side characters too are minutely observed and developed. There is reference to mental illness and depression too. One thing that I hated about the book was the way Zevin used the sensory organs of smell and touch. The kissing scenes were just disgusting. Apart from this, the book is awesome and you should give it a read.

Rating- 4/5

Comments