Hidden in Plain Sight - Su-Lin Ang

Courtesy
Jen and her cousins have repeatedly heard the story of their family treasure but none of them is sure whether it's actually true. When they accidentally find an old Chinese puzzle in Jen's grandfathers house, the get cracking the irresistible codes and start wondering if the jewels actually exist.

This was a fun and quick read. It took me only a few hours and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story. It took me a few chapters to understand the premise, but once I got hooked, I couldn't put the book down. Jen was adorable and relatable. I remember thinking why adults behaved superiorly when I was her age and the sibling squabbles give a realistic dimension to the story. I haven't read many books where in the are childish disagreements and fights, but this nailed that aspect. I did spot a few cases of head hopping, but it wasn't very noticeable. I'll get to the point and talk about the main theme. Most of the book is about codes and puzzles, and I think they were described marvelously. The were codes like the Morse code, Arnold cipher, and Cipher wheel. The concepts were simple and well written, considering that this is a children's book. I'll also mention that there were many Asian words in the book, which are informative for anyone looking for a dose of information along with entertainment. The story is also set in the 1960's, so we get to see some historical eve on the way. The words are accompanied by beautiful illustrations which make reading much easier and enjoyable. If you're looking for an entertaining read to gift someone young, this is a good choice, but I'd say even teenagers can love it.


Rating-  4.6/5

Saloni Porwal


Comments