Interview with Tania Mathew from The Seaside Library

 

We recently had a fun interview with Tania Mathew who runs a book blog called The Seaside Library. If you don't know her yet, this is the perfect opportunity to learn about her and her blogging journey, which is so different from ours. She has a large array of bookish content on her blog with the most satisfying theme colors. I'll stop telling you about this amazing blogger and let you read her thoughts for yourself.

Introduce yourself. Who are you and where do you blog?
I’m Tania Mathew, a newbie to the blogging scene. I post book reviews and interesting titbits that catch my fancy on my blog, The Seaside Library.

What made you start blogging and for how long have you been doing it?
Right after school closed in March last year, I was finding it very difficult to adjust to the paradigm shift in events- from being buried in schoolwork, I suddenly had nothing to occupy my fidgety mind. My mother then suggested that I combine my love for books and writing in the form of a blog. Now, I’ve been a blogger for a bit more than a year.

What mistakes did you make early on while blogging? What would you advise aspiring book bloggers?
Well, I don’t think I had problems in the initial stages, though I expected a pretty large viewer base after going public. As expected, my stats were terrible even after blogging for months. My advice to prospective bloggers is this: do not expect your site to become the go-to spot like Goodreads. It takes months of diligent posting of relevant content and promoting your blog on platforms to boost viewership. This is a mistake I realised too late and now I’m working on bringing my content out to people, instead of waiting for them to find my blog by chance.

What motivates you to keep going and posting on your blog?
Reading, writing and knowing more about the books I read is what I love; blogging is only a medium for me to tell the world of my love. Do you get that peculiar feeling sometimes, a sudden wish to just get away from maddening reality? I read when that feeling dawns upon me. It doesn’t have an assigned time, in fact; I would put aside my studies if I feel the urge to read. I read when I need some space away from my textbooks, a brief reprieve from all the sad things happening around us. The same goes for writing, too. Blogging is just an engrossing activity that motivates me to write.

What is your most popular post?
As of now, my most popular post is ‘2020 Book of the Year’. It’s a post declaring the best book I read in 2020- a memoir by Paul Kalanithi, When Breath Becomes Air.

What is your favorite genre and favorite books from that genre?
That’s hard; you’re making me choose between historical fiction and crime thrillers. But I’ll go with historical fiction. I recommend Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone series, Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

Which book are you reading right now and why did you pick it up?
I’m reading The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley. I was getting a bit tired of all the gloomy stories I was reading recently and decided to get this brightly coloured and embellished book which also bore on the cover, “A wonderfully warm, feel-good novel about the power of friendship and connection.” Despite that cliched opinion emblazoned on its front, the book hasn’t let me down yet.

You are a student. How easy is it to balance blogging with studies and make time to read?
It’s simple; I don’t pick sides. I am at a stage where my academics have more priority than blogging. If I have lots of work, I wouldn’t spend time on blogging, but I would probably read or write in my break time. The actual process of blogging only takes about half an hour; more time goes into researching and writing, but I love the process.

During the lockdown, was there any specific author or genre that you discovered?
It’s not exactly a discovery since Russian and French classics were on my reading list for a long time, but I picked up the courage to read those huge books- War and Peace, The Brothers Karamazov and Les Misérables- during the lockdown. I thought it would be dreadfully dreary, but I loved them. Maybe what I discovered is that you shouldn’t let the size of the book intimidate you.

What is your favorites form of books? Physical, eBooks, or Audiobooks.
Paperbacks win hands down. Or hardbacks. I can’t imagine e-books or audiobooks giving me the same pleasure as a fragrant, well-thumbed book can.

Which author do you trust enough to pay for their book without knowing anything about it? Can you name your favorites book by them?
Robert Galbraith, I would pick him over anybody. As for my favorite book of his, I can’t decide which I love the most from the entire Strike series, which is all he has ever written. I am crazy for his books! Also, Robert Galbraith is JK Rowling’s alter ego. That fact too contributed to me swearing undying loyalty to the Strike series.

What’s your favorite place to get books from?
I love getting books from places that sell used books at half-prices. It’s all the more thrilling when I find that the previous owner read the book in some other corner of the world. Second-hand shops give amazing offers on used and old-edition books; I can get 7 books at the price of 3 new books from the bookstores in malls! I never leave my favorite haunt without a pile of books in my arms.

Do you have any necessities while reading? Like a cup of coffee or complete silence?
I need a warm spot where I can curl up. I would like something tasty to go with it, but from experience, I warn you that food and books don’t go well with each other. Chocolate stains are ghastly. I don’t need absolute silence to read, but I avoid reading where the TV is on.

If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
My book, if I ever write one, wouldn’t be limited to a particular age group; it won’t adhere to labels. It would be something serious, with generous dollops of humor and drama. Something that won’t fit in 400 pages. But, I have no idea what to write about.

What is your biggest accomplishment as a reader?
I’m not sure it’s an accomplishment, but I’m proud of my status as a bookworm among my friends and family.

How big is your book collection?
Fairly large, about 250. But it pales in comparison to the collection of somebody I know. The vastness of a book collection is a subjective question, but I think we all agree that there is no such thing as too many books.
 
Is there a story behind the name of your blog?
I love the sea, and the idea of a cozy reading spot on a cliff overlooking the sea appealed to me. When I think of a seaside library, I see a cottage with a comfy armchair and shelves crammed with books from floor to ceiling. Then definitely, my blog had to be named The Seaside Library.

Any message for our readers?
Don’t limit yourself to reading a particular genre or a specific author. Have an unconventional selection of books at hand- from dystopian science fiction to war stories to classic holiday tales. Indiscriminate reading helps to widen your knowledge of the world in ways you can’t even imagine.

Find Tania on
Twitter: @inkheart_tania

That's all for this interview. Hope you enjoyed. Stay tuned for more bookish content!

Comments