Series or Standalones? | Which is Better

Series or Standalones? | Which is Better

Series or Standalones. It's seriously a difficult choice. But here are our views.

Saloni's views...
After some thought, I'll say standalones. I do like series, but you know when the expectations are high throughout, but the ending is terrible? That's why I'm cautious of series. And sometimes there's zero character development. I've read a bunch of series that go on and on for years, but the character remains the same. No change. The author uses the same flaws to create conflicts every single time. Have you ever wanted a series really bad but couldn't find the first book and the sequels were filled with spoilers? If you have, then you know what I mean. I'll admit I've wished a standalone had a sequel a couple of times, but there's always fear of a stab in the back. The author promises you something, but you don't get it. I know I'm talking as if series are horrible. They aren't always. In fact most of the time they are super. But I'll talk about why standalones are better. There is a definite goal that the character her to achieve. The is a specific, mind-blowing end the author has in mind. There are no loose ends. And that leaves you satisfied at the end of the day.

Vibhiksha's views...
I'm positive about both but I prefer standalones. I've never completed an entire series. My first series was Dork diaries but I could read only half the books because I couldn't find the others. Series could be very long and some have similar plots or repetitive events, which makes it quite boring. In a series, everything is the same other than the plot and the settings. Standalones have different plots, characters, and they change and have a goal in the story. But in a series, the main character does not have a proper goal and does different things in every story. Of course, any one can hate any book whether it is a standalone or series. When you finish a series, the story carried on to the next book which it very time consuming. You waste your time reading the entire series just to find that the ending is unsatisfying? Very disappointing right. Standalones, leave your mind clear to make up whether it was good or not.

Let us know your views in the comments. Series, or Standalones?

Saloni & Vibhiksha

Comments