Sick Girl Secrets - Anna Russel

Sick Girl Secrets by Anna Russel Book Cover
Courtesy

Natalie has been sick for the past three years. She always managed to stay invisible at school. Out of the spotlight. The way she wanted to stay. But a surgery leaves her dependent on a wheelchair. The wheelchair, which is like an arrow saying 'Look at Me!' She can feel the burden of lost friendships and unfair stereotypes. But she needs to learn to support her people. Support herself.

I received this book courtesy of NetGalley and West 44 Books in return for an honest review. The book has been written in a unique manner and is a very quick read. It takes you through what a disabled person faces each day. Accusations, disbelieving faces, unwanted attention. I could somewhat relate with Nat, even though I am not disabled. Her feelings and emotions were raw and honest, as they should be, considering that the author has been through some of this herself. I will tell you that some people might not like this book or understand the different writing style, but I found it very interesting. In terms of reading level, young readers may not understand it, but beginners will. The language is simple yet powerful, and I think this could be a good book for teenagers. I'll also mention that I absolutely adore the cover art. The ending was meaningful and beautifully wrapped up. So if you are ready to be a little open and try some new writing, you should definitely consider reading this book.

4.5/5 
Saloni Porwal

Comments