One Night Only - Catherin Walsh

Courtesy

A one night stand is supposed to be a temporary thing where you don't meet ever again. So Sarah takes it for granted that she's never going to see Declan, but she's in for a nasty shock at her best friend's wedding where she is maid of humor when she discovers that he is the groom's younger brother and best man. Things take a turn for the worse when Declan appears to be determined to embarrass and irritate her every time they meet which isn't great because he keeps turning up wherever she goes.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing an ARC of this book. This was my first ARC to be approved, so I guess it's supposed to be special. However, it was not what I expected. First big disappointment was that the story mostly happens in New York. From the official blurb, it seems that the whole thing is about this cool Irish wedding, although it isn't. And then the book actually goes on for months and months after the actual wedding. Declan was really annoying for me. I get that he's always joking, but can't he ever be proper serious? And why is everyone addicted to his amazing Irish accent? I just don't get it. Joking is one thing and straight out lying is completely another. It feels like being cheated for the sake of word count. Declan rambles for a whole page, and then we learn that it was all lies and then Sarah is grumpy for another page. What I did like about his character though was his backstory. The concept wasn't too bad, though there was no proper reasoning behind it. As for Sarah, I still don't understand her. At one point, she hates Declan, then she's in love, and towards the end, she's just a drama queen over-reacting way too much. The side characters were really confusing too. Will was just weird I don't know why he was there in the firs place. And then there was Josh. The worst written character. It took me like ten chapters to know who he is and what happened to him. Walsh does write well, but her plotting and character building was missing a lot. I'm hoping her books improve in the future as this was just her debut. I might read another of her works in the future, but no promises.

Rating- 2.7/5

Saloni Porwal

Comments