Who Runs The World? - Virginia Bergin

Courtesy

Fourteen year old River lives in a world of females. Sixty years ago, a virus broke out and killed every human with XY chromosomes, the men. The woman grieved, pulled themselves together, and kept humanity going through IVF. But one day, a boy breaks out of the hygienic sanctuary where all the males live, into the world where the word man is no more used. And it is River who is the first to meet him.

I picked this book up because of it's interesting concept. It really makes you think, so credits to the author for the brilliant idea. The characters and story was hard to read. It took me days to finish this book, when I usually finish books in hours. Parts of the backstory were amazing. You can't not relate to the emotional struggle of the ladies, having had to give up their fathers, brothers, husbands, boyfriends and sons. The mindset of present day girls was interesting to read. I think it answers a lot of ifs and the imagination was really good. But when it comes to the present day story, I found it ridiculous, boring, and even disgusting. There are mentions of abuse, rape, and violence throughout the book, so caution for those who do not want graphic scenes. I kept reading for the plotline, which does not disappoint. The main premise was true genius and I loved it. It may be because I rarely read futuristic fiction, but I felt this book was just not for me. But must read for the storyline.

Rating- 2.7/5

Saloni Porwal

Comments