Year Without Autumn - Liz Kesseler

Courtesy

One moment, Jenni is twelve years old, about to go horse riding with her best friend Autumn. The next moment, she finds she's been transported a year ahead and disaster has struck her friend's family. Their friendship is getting worse, and Jenni is the only one who can repair it. But to do that, she needs to figure out how she can get back to the previous year and prevent the tragedy from ruining her best friendship.

I was hooked in the first three pages. The reason? The platonic chemistry between Jenni and Autumn. That bond and friendship was very relatable to me from my long friendship, and all the little quirks are so true. The sibling squabbles were well written too. It was probably written from experience, as relationships written so well are rare. The only other thing I can complement, is the main idea. The basic premise of the story is about time travel, as you can understand from the synopsis. However, the whole story was very confusing and it took me a long time to understand how it happened. The plot doesn't go into details of science or physics in any way. The focus always remains on the characters, which was expected as this is written for young readers. The dialogues were really good at points, but in other parts, they felt dull and nothing special. I liked the way emotions got in the way of the characters, but what I don't understand, is the point of the story. At the end of the book, I felt unsatisfied and bored with all that time travel, though I somewhat understand the deeply hidden message. One series of events can transform relationships and people beyond repair. I'd rate this as an okay read, with a good plotline that could have been better. If you plan to pick this book up, I'd recommend you not to keep your expectations high.


Rating- 3/5

Comments