Josh and Gemma Make a Baby - Sarah Ready


Gemma has gone through a divorce an infertility diagnosis. She doesn't need Mr. Perfect to have her baby with, she resorts to an IVF donor. Josh has been a family friend for decades. He is smart enough and good-looking- perfect for her baby. When she asks him for some sperm, she doesn't expect him to agree, but the deal is on. A no commitment, unemotional agreement. What she doesn't realize, is that baby-making doesn't work without emotions.

I listened to this book in the audiobook format, and read parts of it, thanks to free e-ARCs from NetGalley and Swift & Lewis Publishing, LLC. I loved both versions of the book, and the narration by Erin Mallon was awesome. The book story floated from one chapter to another, and I was impressed by the variation in the male and female voices that Erin had created. The book is basically a light-hearted, cheesy, rom-com surrounded with family and friends, each with their own little storyline that makes an important contribution to the plot. I specially loved Gemma's friends from the fertility group and their backstories and supportive mannerisms. Ian Fortune (Gemma's boss) strikes me as an abominable, horrible employer, and human in general. I hated him from the very beginning and found him very cringeworthy in a bad way. I think it was meant to be this way. I am not sure what to think of the inspirational quotes shared in the beginning of each chapter because I'm not exactly the inspiration person, but as they fit in beautifully with the context of the story my feelings are pretty neutral. The last few chapters were quite a twist and I'll admit, I never expected something like that. Of course, the most important bit of the story that I can't leave out is infertility. This isn't my first time reading a book about someone infertile, and though Sarah Ready didn't quite meet my expectations in that category, I still loved it. This is a genuinely hard topic to write about and the humor and general flow of the plot eased the tension of the main theme. So if you didn't get the point of me writing all this, in one sentence, you need this book.

Rating- 4/5

Comments