The Olive Tree - Lucinda Riley

Courtesy

Helena has a happy family married to William and has two kids with him, and another son from a secret past relationship. So when she inherits a house from her godfather in Cyprus, she can't resist taking them to the place where she found her first love. But with untied ends left there from her previous visit, this one is bound to get her entangled in all her past doings.

To start with, I read this book a few months back, so I have different views of it now as compared to what I thought while reading or immediately after. I remember when I started this book, I couldn't understand the writing but about three chapters in, I was hooked. Basically, this book has two timelines, obviously the past and present. In the past we have a twelve year old Alex writing his feelings into a diary gifted by his mother in first person, and a third person omniscient view of all the characters. In the present, we have a grown Alex reflecting on his diary after years. This is one of the longest books I have read in this genre, yet it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't often read standalones with a large cast, but I think the well-written conflicting backstories and personalities made it an exception. So many people coming together, each with their own doubts and secrets make for an unputdownable juicy read. Throughout the book, I think I really connected with Alex and his struggle to learn the identity of his biological father. The plotline is really quite simple- How would you react when you learnt the harsh bitter truths to answers you've been asking all your life? From the moment the first domino falls, you help but watch spellbound as the one falls after the other, most taking their own sweet time. It is mainly a family drama, with layers of humor, romance, friendship, and mystery. What also makes this unique is how it includes people of various generations, making it a cozy read for most ages. Now, this book is quite magical, as I felt during what I call the 'book hangover'. I still think of it from time to time, take it down from my shelf and read parts of it, but I don't think I can ever reread it. So, here's my final view. This is a truly beautiful book that is also insightful and thought provoking.

Rating- 4/5

Comments