Twenty Questions with Emma Robinson, Author of To Save my Child


Emma is the author of 10 other books, other than To Save My Child, her latest book about single mother Anna, whose daughter Libby needs a kidney transplant. In this amazing book, Robinson shows us the unspoken dimensions of being a single mother and raises awareness on kidney transplantation.

I read an eARC of this book a few moths ago and Emma's words moved me. Her writing has the power of making me, a fourteen year old consider organ donation in the future. I loved this book so much that I asked Emma if I could interview her, and she said yes! I had lots of fun reading the book and taking this interview, and we hope you love reading this.

Was writing your first career choice? If not, what was it?
I have always wanted to be a writer, but it took me until I was 40 to complete a novel. In my twenties I worked in Sales and Marketing and then, at 30, I trained as an English teacher which I still do part-time.

When did you take up writing? What was the first piece of your writing you were proud of?
Like most writers, I have written since I was very young. The first piece of writing I remember being proud of was a poem about a cherry blossom tree when I was about nine!

Since when did you want to be an author? Did you have a moment where it all fell in place?
I can remember being at primary school and reading a series of books that a girl not much older than me had written. It was a lightbulb moment when I realized that maybe I could have a book published one day. It wasn’t until I had my children that I took it seriously, though. My experience of being a mother for the first time gave me a lot of material!

At what point do you think someone should call themselves a writer?
If you write, then you are a writer. I believe this, but I still - after nine books! - struggle with telling people I am a writer.

One thing about your profession you wouldn’t give up?
The actual writing. It’s like therapy. If I don’t write for a few days, I feel itchy!

Are you an avid reader? Which are your preferred genres and which authors do you enjoy?
Yes! I love to read and always have. I read almost all genres, but mostly contemporary and literary fiction. I love Liane Moriarty and Marian Keyes, but also Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte!

Can you share a line or part of your book that you love but isn’t mentioned in the blurb?
"Is there anyone in the world more full of joy than a six-year-old with a feather boa?"

How long did it take for you to write this book?
Six months. The first draft takes around four months, and then there are two months of edits.

How do you come up with character names for your stories?
I find naming characters very difficult! I have got in the habit of keeping a list of any names I hear which I like so that I have somewhere to begin. Often, change their names after the first draft if they don’t feel ‘right’ for the character.

How much do you relate to Anna, and what do you admire about her?
I relate to her for her doing anything she can to save her daughter. I admire her bravery in stepping back into a situation which she knows is going to be extremely painful.

How do you set the mood for a difficult or emotional scene?
I give myself time to think about the feelings in the scene and I try to put myself in the character’s shoes. I will often write all the dialogue first - almost like a play - because then the characters almost take over and my fingers on the keyboard just need to keep up!

What were the key challenges you faced when writing this book?
The biggest challenge for me is always time. In terms of this specific book, getting the details right about the processes involved in kidney donation whilst making sure that the stages worked with my plot took a lot of thinking about.

What’s the trickiest thing about writing characters of the opposite gender?
All my POV characters are women, so male characters are often secondary. Usually, I base male characters on someone I know, so I know they are believable.

How do you handle literary criticism?
It gets easier the longer you are writing. To begin with, critical reviews upset me, but now I am a lot more accepting of the fact that not everyone is going to love what I do.

How much ‘world building’ takes place before you start to write?
Hardly any! I usually layer on settings after I have written a first draft of the plot.

What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?
I need absolute silence to write. If I have tricky edits or a looming deadline, I will check myself into a Premier Inn for the weekend and barely leave my laptop except to sleep.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
Within the next five years, I plan to be a full-time writer. I hope I will continue to do what I’m doing for the same publisher as I am thrilled there.

What motivates you to finish your book and type THE END?
Funnily enough, I never actually type ‘The End’! Because I have an editor, I usually get the book to where I know I need her input. It’s a good job that I have a deadline, otherwise, I would tinker away forever!

How did the recent pandemic affect you in your personal and professional life?
It was very hard. My life - as a teacher, writer, and parent - functions because I compartmentalize my time. During the lockdown, everything collided, and it was very difficult not to feel overwhelmed.

What do you hope your readers take away from this book?
Interesting question! I hope they take away the idea that we are stronger than we realize.

If you found value in this interview, you should definitely order To Save My Child over your local Amazon website. Emma's Instagram and Twitter handle is @emmarobinsonuk. Her website is HTTPS://www.emmarobinsonwrites.com Thank you for reading this post and do revisit our blog. 

Comments