Attachments - Rainbow Rowell


Lincoln is working at a newspaper company, and as a part of his job, he has to monitor the staff's internet usage. His boring work hours are brightened by exchanges between work besties Beth and Jennifer, mailing each other about their personal lives. When Lincoln can't stop reading these mails, he realizes he's falling for one of them, but now it's too late for a formal introduction.

I don't know where to start with this. The book was a pure delight and I loved reading every word. Attachments is a rom-com with elements of friendship and family. The plotline was simple but what made it standout was Rowell's writing style. The book is has two dimension (I can't really say perspectives) One is the exchanges we get to see between Jennifer and Beth, and the second is third POV revolving around Lincoln. What is really fascinating to me is that Rowell tells the readers so much about the two friends and makes you feel like you've known them forever just through selective mail exchanges. They are crafted so well that Lincoln falls in love before he has any clue what is love interest looks like. (I found the love before first sight take quite interesting.) We never get to meet Mitch, who is Jennifer's husband and was mention frequently in the mails, but I feel as if I know him too. Lincoln's backstory and past affairs wove in perfectly with his present personality. I also love how this book has been set in 1999, the pre-millennium era, with variation the variation in thoughts and ideas. I think it's safe to say that being at 2000's baby from South Asia, all the pop star references completely went over my head. I tried hard, but I couldn't like or understand Justin and Lincoln's D &D group, with the exception of Christine. I haven't read Eleanor and Park, or Fangirl, but maybe this is a masterpiece overshadowed by the successes of Rowell's other works. If you are looking for a slightly long but entertaining light book, you must try this one.

Rating- 4/5


Comments