Someone Else's Child - Alison Ragsdale




Devastated after losing one of her twin daughters at birth, Catriona can't resist the opportunity to adopt a beautiful baby girl, only two days younger than her survivor twin Hope. Nine years later, April finds that she isn't Catriona and her husband Duncan's biological child, goes into shock, and she refuses to speak. Just when April's birth mother- Lauren, contacts the adoption agency saying that she would like to meet her daughter. And Catriona's heart shatters bit by bit, as she sees her carefully built family break.
This was quite slow at first, but kept me hooked nonetheless. This book is a mixture of emotion, family, and love. A readers heart would go out for the bond between Cat and April. For most of the story, we see Cat's heartbreak as she looses everything she wanted so badly, her motherly affection doesn't cease to touch your heart. I really can't put my feelings into words, at this point, but I can say that Cat is a wonderful character, so kudos to the author! Cat has done everything possible to hold her family together, but things keep getting worse. From her perspective, I find it commendable that someone who lost both her biological daughters, has a strained relationship with her husband, and is being shut out by her adopted kid can not go mad with grief. I am not a crier, but, I am sure that if I was, I would cry more than once. April's behavior was totally relevant and painful. On multiple occasions, I had an urge to hug her and tell her that her mom loves her. Apart from these characters, I think Cat's parents were brilliant too. They stand by their daughter through thick and thin, and the overwhelming love and affection they feel for her stays with you. The story is one of tragedy, grief, and pain, but Ragsdale has completely balanced out all the tragic scenes, giving you many bits where you can smile. The ending, in my eyes, was perfect, showing a bright future, full of forgiveness, acceptance, remembrance, and underlying sorrow of the past. A must read.

Rating- 5/5

Comments