The Girl Who Lied - Sue Fortin


On a normal day at work, Erin gets a mail from her school friend Roisin, suggesting that they meet up to discuss a carefully hidden photograph of Erin's that has come to light after a decade. Later that day, she gets a call from her sister to say that their father has had an accident and is in the ICU. Now Erin has no choice but to leave her home in London, go back to Ireland and come face to face with Roisin.

Wow! This book was fantastic, fabulous, all the good stuff. It is one of the books that I wish I could read again for the first time. I absolutely loved this book, but I'd like to get over with what I didn't like about it first. Putting it simply, everything on the cover was horrible. I don't think the title suits the book, for example, as the story is more about the lie rather than the girl who said it. The blurb and cover page too weren't suitable to the story. The reason that I'm writing this is  to say that readers miss out on great books like this one due to a bad cover. That said, I'd label this book as a romance, mystery, which falls into the women's fiction category. The central idea has elements of family and friendship with characters that I quite enjoyed. Fortin has cleverly crafted the backstories, motives, and blackmails to resonate perfectly with the reader in the end. The writing style was remarkable and switch in POVs impacted the stress in the story, keeping me hooked till the end. The romance was heartwarming, and though it's more on the slow burn side, it was expected. If the blurb above doesn't sound interesting (my bad, because I made it), please don't give up on this book. It is truly amazing, with a plot that is hard to explain without spoiling it. I hope I convinced you to pick this book up.

Rating- 4.5/5

Comments