How Maya Got Fierce - Sona Charaipotra


Maya is a sixteen-year-old Indo-American trying to fulfill her dream for an internship in fashion magazine 'Fierce.' Instead, she is hired as an assistant features editor with her colleagues thinking she is 26. To make matters worse, her Punjabi parents have no clue about this. Being an NRI myself, I was instantly attracted to this book, and my instincts were not wrong. I loved Maya's character and related with her on many levels. Although there are many American qualities about her, I loved how she is still deeply rooted in her culture, cuisine, and language. The concept was quite interesting, and I was not disappointed. I also liked how the author authentically referred to the LGBT community. What I mean is in most books, we see that families easily accept gay couples without any problem, but that is not always the case, and this was a perfect depiction of just that. I found Maya's mom to be loud, energetic, and bubbly like most Punjabi women I know. Speaking of the negatives, I can't pinpoint what was missing, but I would drive through many parts of the book. Maybe parts of the storyline like the on and off romance and all the drama with Dolly bored me. This book was memorable to me, and I will re-read parts of it now and again.

Rating- 4/5

Comments