Interview with Kate Hewitt, author of The Child I Never Had


We're back with yet another helpful interview with the amazing author- Kate Hewitt. Behind her enticing characters and stories, Kate has a whole process for her writing and in this interaction, we managed to learn quite a bit of it. So join me as I have a little chat..

In my opinion, Mia, Suzanne, and Daisy are strong female characters, each in their own unique style. How did you work on their personality traits while keeping in mind their similar goals?
I think whenever I am creating characters, I try to figure out how they work together and influence each other, and come up with people who respond and change according to the people around them. I think in some ways everyone wants the same goal–to be happy, loved, and accepted. How that looks and how it is achieved are what makes a story interesting!

Was there a part of you that you discovered through writing?

I have said before, semi-seriously, that writing is like therapy for me, because I discover aspects of myself and things I didn’t realize I was worried about through writing. In this case, I identified with Suzanne’s sense of lostness as her mother loses her memories, as my mother is going through a similar process, and writing about Suzanne helped me to clarify my own feelings. 


Is there an instance where a critical book review have you a wake up call to work on your shortcomings as a writer?

I think I almost always try to take critical reviews in the spirit that they’re given–i.e., someone has a genuine issue with some part of your story. While I recognize that everyone responds differently to a story, and comes at it with their own emotional baggage, it was helpful earlier in my career to realize readers like something pretty fast-paced, and a lot of introspection on the characters’ parts gets boring! Something I still struggle with sometimes.


Characters of what age group come to you most easily?

Writing women my own age (mid 40s) probably comes easiest, along with teenagers, as I have a few of those! But ultimately every person, no matter their age, gender, etc. still has a core of humanity that we can all relate to.


When did you first learn the power of words?

I wrote my first story when I was five years old, and have been writing steadily in one form or another, since then, so I think, on some level, I’ve known about the power of words since I was small!


Who was the first person to notice your talent for writing?

My father patiently listened to that story I wrote when I was five, and encouraged me often since then, so I’d have to say him.


How did it feel when you first published your book?

My first published work was a short story in 1999, and it felt amazing! I couldn’t believe someone was actually paying me to write. Nothing has come close to that first feeling, but when my first novel was published in 2007, it was pretty exciting too.


How do you describe your books to your children?

Generally, I don’t because they’re not all that interested! I have one daughter who reads some of what I’ve written, and I like to say I write about real people in hard situations, with hope at the end.


When you are not writing, what are your favorite pastimes?

I love reading, baking, walking my dogs, and playing card and board games with my family.


Are your books complete standalones, or is there an underlying thread?

They are standalones, but I think there are common themes–of forgiveness, hope, redemption, and sacrifice–through all my books. 


Do you cry while reading? What are your favorite tear jerkers?

I cry at a lot the older I get! Where The Red Fern Grows was the first book I cried at, and it still gets me when I reread it. 


Do you try being completely original, or give readers what they want? Why?

I think you need to try to do both. There’s nothing new under the sun, but as a writer you have a unique voice so no one will tell the story that you can, so the aim is to come at old themes and ideas with a fresh individualism only you can provide.


What would you advise reluctant new readers?

I tell my children that if you love reading, you will never be bored! For new readers, I’d advise reading in a genre that appeals to you, and giving yourself time to get into the story. We are such an instant gratification culture, and we are absorbing entertainment in sound bites, like TikTok, Twitter, etc. Reading is different–it takes time, so be patient and invest in a story. You won’t regret it!


If you found this interesting, you should read my review of Kate's most recent release here, and even purchase it! Hope you liked this interview. Stay tuned for more every week!

Comments