Safety In Numbers - Sophie Penhaligon


It's been a year since the accident in which Seraphina lost her mother and her speaking skills. Because of this, she is stuck in a cubicle job despite being a mathematical genius. So when he is offered a promotion as a research assistant in Grant Innovations, she is overjoyed. Her new boss Dr. Milo Grant is a good guy under his attractive appearance and scary demeanor. When both meet, they instantly connect because of their social awkwardness and tragic past. But does that mean anything?

In a sentence, this is a light quick read. I finished it in one sitting and it was so short that I thought I was halfway through it when I was almost done. All the focus was on the two main characters, with a simple, but life changing backstory. This isn't the kind of book I will reread, but it gave me two subtle messages. One- Expressing your liabilities doesn't make you weak or pitiful. It makes you true to yourself and more lovable. And two- You don't need to create a false identity for show. Be your true self. Now may sound impressive, but it isn't really. I'll just say that both characters had such exaggerated personality traits to make them flawed, that they became boring and repetitive. For example, Milo is a horrible employer and extremely rude to everyone (which would be believable) except Seraphina. I get that he finds her good-looking, but I don't understand how he goes out of his way to be nice to her just because he is desperate for an assistant (This was before he finds out about her aphasia) And then Seraphina is determined not to tell anyone about her disability, but she simply blurts it to Milo because he should know that working with her won't be easy. Also, she conveniently regains her memory of words and speaks in full paragraphs when she wants to. I won't be too critical with this book because enjoyed most of it, hence the rating.

Rating- 3.5/5

Comments