She's Unlikeable - Aparna Shewakramani


I was interested in this book because the author has an Indian origin, same as me, and I wanted to see what she had to say. I haven't seen Indian matchmaking, but I have heard of it, and being a lover of memoirs and autobiographies, I had to listen to this. When I first read in the synopsis that Aparna was made the 'villain' in the show, I didn't understand what she meant, but as the audiobook progressed, that became clear. I still don't agree with the title, and there are many little things in the book that I find difficult to understand including how most of the book is about Aparna's experience with Indian matchmaking. In general, I could relate with her experiences being
type casted as 'dark'. I also loved the insight she gave into the world of 'reality shows' and how much a person can get affected by how they are portrayed in screen. About the narration, I had neutral feelings as majority of the audiobook was narration and didn't require too much voice modulation or accents. There was nothing that made this audiobook very special to me, but again, this was the first time I listened to a memoir. I think a lesson from this book that will stay with me is to always think twice before judging someone based solely off their on-screen personality/portrayal, even more so before making a public comment.

Rating- 3/5

Comments