Late Bloomers - Deepa Varadarajan

 
I had to request this the moment I saw the Indian name on the cover! When it came to actually reading, though, I was not sure of what to expect. So right now, I have mixed feelings towards the book that I am yet to process.

The story is that of an Indian family residing in the US. The parents are recently divorced and are trying to figure out their new life in their sixties, while their children cope with middle age. Varadaranjan has well encapsulated all the thoughts and emotions of the characters in their respective POVs.

While this isn't the light, breezy rom-com that is my comfort zone, it is very beautiful in its own way. The author breaks the boundaries set for conventional novels and explores the world of retired expats. Divorces are looked down upon in India because they reflect lack of adjustment and a stamp of failure. Expecting anew romantic life after this is unthinkable. The author portrayed all of this with great care in the story.

Read this for a refreshing take to second chances and some great food for thought.

Comments