You Bet Your Heart - Danielle Parker

 

3 stars

You Bet Your Heart is a young adult novel with black lead characters Ezra and Sasha. The story revolves around the competition for valedictorian, while the romance between the two blossoms. 

Sasha was a fun MC for most of the story, ready to go to any extent to win the title she believes she deserves and the attached scholarship.  Her extreme desire to pay a 'tribute' to all those who sacrificed for her was what distanced me from her. Ezra didn't have a POV in the story (I would have liked that) so I don't feel as strongly about him. I never understood his motives for winning the position and his initial meddling personality.

The third act and ending were extremely rushed. To put it simply, the romantic feelings literally pop out of nowhere and then it becomes super serious, and we have no clue what's going on. The last few chapters made no sense and although there is a character arc, it is so abrupt that the MCs feel like different people by the last page.

I had some expectations from this book but it didn't live up to the blurb. I'm not impressed by it, so I don't recommend it, but I wouldn't discourage you either. So if you want to pick it up, go ahead my all means.

Comments