Ghosted - Sarah Ready


5 stars!

Just finished listening to the ALC from the author, and Sarah's done it again! I beautifully written, deep, thought-provoking book, as always.

The basic idea behind the story reminded me of "Twenties Girl", a vastly different and brilliant book by Sophie Kinsella. Ghosted felt well thought out in comparison, though I'll admit I struggled to wrap my head around the entire plot line and the twists. The only other negative is how the various phases or acts as I might refer to them didn't quite flow into one another. I could feel the abrupt switch in narration.

Moving on to everything I loved. Gillian was one of the best FMCs I've read! I love how well thought out her character is, with incidents to back up every little quirk of hers. She is her own unique person outside of her relationships, and the individual show time she got to herself gave great insights into her character.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to know Daniel as well, but enjoyed him most in the first act of the story, as a muddled, caring, lovable man. I loved how he wasn't afraid to be vulnerable and that was a magnetic quality.
 
A cross reference to "The Space Between", another book by Ready which came out this year was just what I needed to put a huge smile on my face. I'm not a fan of Star Trek or a science person as of such, but some concepts in the book intrigued me on further research. So, this book is great for reference lovers.

I found the work environment at Gillian's place the definition of a familial, healthy bond! I loved the blooming dynamic between the colleagues so lovely and heartwarming. I can compare it to that of siblings. Mutual love, exasperation, familiarity, comfort, and loyalty.

Coming to the audiobook narrators, I didn't find them as endearing as I had hoped. They weren't bad, I just didn't notice them to stand out with their performance for most of the listen.

10/10 recommend for a philosophical read with many short chapters. I will definitely come back to this book time and again.

Comments