The Hero - Susan Stoker


I have very mixed feelings about this book, so I'm gonna say three stars.

The MMC is Kendrick (Everyone calls him Bob, and that's not an attractive name IMO. Also, the confusion with using both the names... not my fave.) He worked in the military and after being held captive with his friends, started a business with them, leaving the army. Hiding this from his friends, Kendric helps Americans wrongfully imprisoned to flee jail. His latest mission is to help Marlowe- an archeologist accused of drug dealing.

Now the story from here is an insta/fated love story as the MCs journey across the country towards the border. Not being the biggest fan of this trope, I found it hard to believe at first, though the writing style was quite captivating. There's a lot of tropes involved in the book, including marriage of convenience. I haven't read much of it, definitely not this variation, Again, I have mixed views about it... Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I liked how the MCs sort of bonded over their trauma while held captive, but I think it could've been done better.

Onto the things that really irked me.
Kendrick's emphasis on how strong and resilient Marlowe is. He says it more than 10 times and personally, I'd had enough of it. Like yea, I get it, you can stop. It just felt like an obvious example of 'telling instead of showing.'
I constantly felt that Kendrick was overshadowing Marlow (it's been a week since I read this book and I've read many others between, and this is what stuck with me). To me, it was his perspective that dominated Marlowe's, him being the Alpha, protective male: Marlowe the supposed brave one but we don't see much of her take.
The whole pregnancy talk was plain stupid. Just wanting to have kids at some point in the future doesn't make it ok for someone to not use protection, especially when clearly undernourished.
Kendrick making some irresponsible decisions which compromised on their health and safety. I get that it was crucial for the next part of the plot to shine, but I didn't expect this from him.

As I said before, the writing was one of the strong points of the story and after reading a preview of the next book in the series, I'm definitely gonna read it. The next novel follows JJ and April, using the amnesia trope which I adore, so I'm excited! I can't decide on whether to recommend this book or not, but after reading the review, I hope you can decide for yourselves.

PS- I haven't read the other two books in the series, nor have I read any other works of the author. Also, as it's been a while since I finished the novel, my review may not be very accurate so apologies for that. 

Comments