The Poisons We Drink - Bethany Baptiste


3 stars

I've always found it hard to read fantasy and barely read any, but I decided I would read more of the genre this year. Something about this cover was appealing to me, and I love audiobooks so I gave it a go.


I'm impressed with the brilliant writing style and world building, commendable for a debut author. The fact that it's an urban fantasy definitely helped me visualize better, but I found the storyline pretty weak. More than a regular novel that shows the journey from a clear point to another, this one reads like an autobiography, just covering a part of the MCs life. I felt like I was just reading random events in sequence.

An added drawback was how the language wasn't suitable for Teens in any way. There's so much cussing and bad language, so now I think the only reason one might think this novel is YA is because of the age of the MC.

The one thing which carried my reading experience was the narration. I think the narrator was great and gave it all in her performance. The only complaint I have here is that some voices- particularly the MC's sister- were super annoying.

Overall, I totally recommend listening to this book as an audiobook, though I'm not sure I would recommend the book itself.

Comments