Late Bloomer - Mazey Eddings

 

4.5 stars

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book was much as I did, but I LOVED the setting and both MCs.

Opal and Pepper fit together so well and complement each other in every possible way. Their interactions were beautiful and mesmerizing. Pretty much an unputdownable book which I relished. Pepper is uncomfortable around Opal and dislikes her from the start. Opal in her own words- is a chronic people pleaser, ready to do anything to help Pepper even though the situation is not to her liking either. This is somewhat of opposites attract romance and I really enjoyed it.

There's some great mental health rep thrown in there and Eddings has given adequate emphasis on the backstories. I instantly liked the MCs and the side characters and rooted for them. Nothing about them was a red flag and the way the showed their care and affection for each other was endearing. I liked the way the climax was resolved too, everything felt cozy and believable. My only issue was with Trish, and her initial portrayal verses the image Pepper painted later on. I'd like it if there was some light shed on her background too.

Eddings has put together a list of book titles that were on hold in the writing process as well as the significance of the different flowers referenced in the book. I was certainly not expecting that, and it was a pure delight to get that added joy to my reading experience. My first book by the author and it won't be my last!

So everything above this is back from when I reviewed the ARC and after listening to the ALC, I've some more thoughts. Yup, I still like the MCs and love the scenery, but the book's lost some of its initial spark. Sometimes I felt there was too much emphasis on a character's emotions- telling instead of showing. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I was too in love with everything the first time and now without the rose-tinted glasses, I see how this is far from perfect.

Comments