Brain Games - Nicole Alfrine


 Like in so many books, I much preferred the FMC of this one to the MMC. Dr Delilah and Dr Bradly have been fierce rivals ever since they met at medical school and when they surprisingly are accepted for the same very hard to get neuro residency. There is some competition to start with; the same dynamic they have had for years. Brad proposes starting a match called the Brain Games which unfortunately gets lost somewhere in the plot.


There not many things I loved about this book but I'll give credit where it's due. The writing style itself is very easy to read and immerse in. I'm fond of indulging in medical fiction, and there is plenty of pages set in the hospital which I liked. I wouldn't say it has Gray's Anatomy levels of drama, but good enough to be entertaining. There is mixed racial representation on accounts of both characters which I liked as a WOC myself, but I wish there was more discussion around it. Similarly, there is discussion of favoritism, misogyny, and sexism in the workplace and I'm sure it would have been more impactful had more time been given to its discussion.

Sadly, things that felt icky though, are endless. To start with, Delilah calls her parents Momma and Daddy. This just strikes me as so weird for a grown ass woman. I have suspicions it may have been for they sake of some jokes. My biggest critique of this book is the MMC. It would be understandable if he were crafted in a way that is supposed to read as a grey character, but I doubt that's the case here. So many of his actions and words felt painfully wrong, like he wasn't just trying too hard or "pursuing" her, but also kinda stalking her. For context, he very firmly keeps insisting that he drop her home quite a few times when she keeps insisting she doesn't want him to. There is miscommunication multiple times in this book, which I'm not a fan of.

And the final straw for me is the unnecessary amount of spice everywhere in this book when I couldn't even be on board with the MCs having any chemistry. I was genuinely wanting them to break up, because the pairing felt so odd to me. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this book unless you want just a ton of smutty scenes and to turn your brain off. I will still be looking into reading the author's debut and any future books since I think the writing has potential.

Comments