My Favourite AuthorTubers | Best Writing Advice on Youtube | Authors


Hello again. Today's post is a bit different as it is intended for writers instead of readers, more specifically, aspiring authors. For a little backstory, check out this post to get familiar on who we are and what we do.

Now as a writer, I know that we all have our writing blocks and need a little boost that gets us writing again. After browsing on YouTube for more than a year, I have found these gems that help me get ahead in my writing. This blog is oriented towards books, and as writers are just as much a part of the book community as readers, so hope this helps.

PS- I'm sure there are loads of channels that I missed so if you know some, feel free to add them in comments.

This channel is one I discovered pretty much accidentally, and is probably my favorite. Diane is a professional editor and makes videos about 21 minutes long that cover various dimensions of writing. She compiles beautiful pictures and scenes from various movies to elaborate on her points. Her advice is precise and short. She uses examples from popular books and classics on how a particular technique can be used and how it has been used in the past. Her videos come out very rarely, but those rare show-ups give you all the motivation and confidence you need to get back to your manuscript. Some of my favorites are the ones on Adding Conflict to A Scene & Avoid Plotting Pitfalls.

I have been watching this channel for the past one year, and honestly, I love it. Abbie uploads videos every Wednesday. She firmly believes that internal conflict is the key to a successful book. She is the author of YA Contemporary 100 Days of Sunlight which I haven't read yet, but nevertheless, I treasure her advice. Abbie hosts many writerly livestreams and writing retreats. She has created playlists for crucial bits as a writer, such as the three act story structure, creating characters, and the editing phase. Her videos are crisp and to the point, loaded with tips from her experience as an author. If you are stuck in the drafting of your book, I highly recommend visiting her channel.

I found this channel just after I found Abbie's as they're both sisters. Kate is the author of the Blood Race series, with a new book- Searching for Sparrow coming up soon. Her videos have a gentle, peaceful vibe that is soothing and calming after watching noisy, loud videos. Kate is a minimalist and teaches how to avoid distractions while writing and get in the writing space through relaxation. She believes in a plant based living and a nomadic lifestyle (the views in her videos are gorgeous) She hosts The Kate And Abbie Show with her sister every week, giving half an hour of brilliant advice. This podcast is great to listen to while working, exercising, cooking, cleaning (basically anything). For starters, try out this video to set the mood for a happy writing session.

This channel has fantastic content for writers, with a little problem. Vivien has not uploaded videos consistently for the past two years. Nevertheless, her previous videos are still up, so you can watch them and learn a lot. Vivien is a Young Adult Fantasy Author of two books, and yes, I haven't read them. She's got some great videos on the basics of writing your book. My favorites include How to Title Your Book and Ups and Down of Being an Author. Her channel has a natural, calm vibe, which makes a great combination with her soft voice. Her tips and experiences have been invaluable for me, so I think every aspiring author should visit her YouTube.

Sarra is the author of multiple Young Adult Fantasy series, the longest being The Shadow Demons Saga. Since I started writing, I had set up everything on screen, and as an online student, that took a toll on my eyes. Heart Breathings helped me tackle that by getting all of my planning on paper. Sarra does almost all of her plotting in her planners (which she's got a huge collection of). She's a lot into stickers, washi tape, colorful markers, and sticky notes for organizing her writer stuff. I cant explain it all, so I'll leave these videos to do that. She's got a fabulous series on plotting your book which you can watch here. Other than that, she makes some great videos giving pep talks and/or insights into her personal writing life.

So that's all I have for you in this post. Let me know if you any of the above channels helped you (It means a lot for us to know that people are finding our content useful). Would you like more writerly articles?

Comments

Post a Comment