Get to Know Mystery/Historical Fiction Writer Sue Fortin


Two weeks ago, I reviewed The Girl Who Lied by this amazing author, and then this interview happened. I came across Fortin's book quite accidently, but I can't let you deprive yourself of her heart-warming writing. So introducing..... Suzanne Fortin

What does a regular day look like for you?
I’m up early to walk the dogs and get my daughter to school. Fortunately, I’m an early bird as she has quite an early start. First thing I do when I get home is to check my emails, have a quick look on social media and then open my manuscript to work on. I’m pretty much at my desk until early afternoon but I do break it up with dog walks, social media and doing any jobs around the house. If I’m on a tight deadline, I will work in the evenings as well, although I do try to avoid that when possible. 

Have you ever considered writing a series?
I have! And it’s something I’m working on at the moment but it’s not contracted so I’m not sure when it might be published.

How do you create 3 dimensional characters?
I start by giving the character a purpose. Decide what they want at the end of the story and how they will get it. I then think about the things that will get in their way - the internal and emotional problems they will have to deal with. This will involve giving them a backstory so their goal in the story, their internal conflicts all interweave. A good question I like to ask the character is ‘Why?’ Why are they doing xyz? Why did they say a certain thing? Why did they behave a certain way? All the questioning helps me to get to know the character inside out. 

If you could meet one of your fictional characters, who would you pick? What would you say to them and how do you think they would reply?

Gosh, this is such a hard question. I think I’d choose Simone Varon from All That We Have Lost. I’d ask her if she thought the sacrifices she made and the loss she endured were truly worth it? Did she think her small part in working with the resistance in wartime France made a difference?
I’m sure she’d reply that, of course it was. That every small act of resistance inspired others to stand up and be brave despite the fear they felt. Without great loss there could not be great gain. 
(She’d also be quite offended that I’d asked her that!)


Do you think reading helps with writer’s block? If so, what is your comfort genre/author/book?
I suppose it can do, but it really depends on what is at the root of the writer’s block. I haven’t personally had writer’s block so haven’t needed to employ any techniques. With regards to my comfort genre, my favorite is romantic suspense. I like Toni Anderson, Mary Burton, Nora Roberts and Karen Rose, they have good fast paced action, threaded with a romantic storyline.

Do you have any controversial opinions about writing/ the book industry?
Probably nothing I could say here! No, seriously, I don’t think I have any controversial opinions but I do believe you should read and write what you love,  without feeling under pressure from your contemporaries. 
 
What do you believe is the essential ingredient to a good story?
Conflict. Without conflict it would all be a bit boring. When I say conflict I mean both internal and external - things that stop or inhibit the main character getting to where they need to at the end of the story.

Where do you usually sit to write? Do you use candles/music/fragrance oils to set the mood for a writing session?
I sit in my dining room where I have my desk and prefer to either work in silence or listen to indie folk music on YouTube.

You published your debut quite late in your life. Do you have any regrets that you didn’t give your skill its deserved attention earlier?
Not at all. I was busy working and bringing up my family (I have 4 children) was very much my priority. I think the experiences I had before I was published all added to my writing. Maybe without them, I wouldn’t be published. Who knows but I’m very happy with how things have panned out.

 How did your family react when you first told them that you were publishing your work? How did your children respond to their mother being a novelist?
They were all very supportive and encouraging. My children just took it in their stride. I don’t think they were particularly fussed one way or the other.

What are your educational qualifications? Do they help in your writing?
I went through UK secondary school and sixth form before getting a job. Later on, I studied with the Open University. I don’t think my qualifications helped with my writing. I would say my writing benefitted and continues to benefit from reading widely and attending appropriate writing related talks and workshops. 

What’s the first thought/emotion that comes to you when you read a positive review to one of your books?
Happiness. I feel pleased the reader has enjoyed it and had a positive experience from the story - I feel I’ve done a good job when that happens.

Which of your books would you recommend to a reader new to your work?
It depends what genre they enjoy. For my historical dual timeline, I’d recommend my latest, All That We Have Lost. If they prefer more suspense type of books, then I’d suggest Sister Sister. Both these have been very popular with readers so I’ll use them as my guide. 

What do you hope readers take away from your books?
Satisfaction. Enjoyment. A sense of time well spent. 

Doing this interview was fun for both of us involved, and we hope you love it too. You can contact Sue on her website. If you have an Instagram account, don't forget to check BookGuru's handle @bookguru31. If this is the kind of content you like, stay tuned for more interviews and book reviews. See you Tuesday with a new review.

Comments