Interview with Alison Ragsdale, Author of Someone Else's Child


A couple weeks earlier, I read and reviewed Someone Else's Child, a heartbreakingly emotional book by Alison Ragsdale. The story is that of devastating loss, grief, and the ups and downs of motherhood. The book is recently published and more links are given below, but for now, we have a few questions to get to know this talented author.

While writing your book, do you have a clear idea of the whole plot, or do you go with the flow?
I usually have a clear outline and a detailed synopsis to work from, but inevitably, as I write, things evolve organically. I love when a character says or does something that takes me off on an unexpected tangent, as it often leads to a stronger story.
 
What did this book's elevator blurb look like during the developing phase?
My publisher writes the copy on the back of the book and this one reflected my initial, three paragraph pitch very closely.
 
Your representation of a child's thought process was thoughtful and authentic. Would you ever consider writing from a child's perspective?
I’m glad you thought so. I have considered writing from a child’s perspective, even though it feels a little intimidating. I am a stickler for accuracy and authenticity in my writing, so if I did this, I’d rely on my wonderful sisters, who both have children, and work with young people at various ages and stages of life, as my gurus and beta readers.
 
Suspense is an ingredient not present in just crime thrillers, but it is also the core of any good story. Do you agree? If yes, how do you use this in your story-telling?
I believe that suspense is essential in all genres as an ingredient to keep the reader turning the pages. I tend to create it through dialogue and, of course, unexpected plot twists. I often create suspense by introducing a dilemma for the main character, then leaving a hook at the end of each chapter - a weighted question that simply forces them to read on.
 
Your work involved writing about hard subjects like loss and trauma. How do you get impacted while drafting such emotionally charged scenes?
I have always enjoyed reading emotionally charged books that make me think and dig deep. That’s why I love writing them, and I often shed tears throughout the process. If I can move a reader to laughter or tears, to ask themselves what they might do in a situation, then I feel that is my greatest accomplishment.
 
What scenes/phrases did you edit out of this book?
I always scan the finished manuscript for phrases that I overuse. My characters seem to shrug and smile a lot, so those gestures often need to be edited. In this book, there was a scene that was primarily descriptive which was cut, as it didn’t move the story forward.
 
Do you believe in writer's block? Why, or why not?
I do believe in it, as I’ve felt that chilling sense of becoming stuck at a certain stage of a book’s evolution. It’s nerve-racking when you can’t get into the zone, especially when you have a deadline looming. Authors are often under a lot of pressure to juggle more than one book at a time and to work to tight timelines, and it’s not easy to be creative on demand. 
 
How would you likely respond when someone asks you to name a character in one of your books after them?
I have been asked this and what I say is that I always use names that originate from the settings of my books. As they are all set in Scotland’s Highlands and Islands, if your name is Scottish, there’s a good chance I’ll use it. ;)
 
If you had to write a genre that you haven't written yet, which would you choose?
Historical fiction because I love to read it, and feel-good fiction because despite my own, emotionally charged focus, I love to laugh.
 
If there was a film made on your life, what would it be called? Which actress would play you?
Great question. I think it would be called Home At Last and the actress I would choose would be Ashley Jensen, from the show Extras.
 
Who is your favorite author? If you could convince them to read just one of your books, which one would you recommend?
This is the hardest question as there are so many authors I admire and love. If I absolutely had to pick one, I’d say Lisa Genova, and I’d ask her to read The Art of Remembering.
 
What would you say to new readers unable to find a book of their liking?
I’d say join a book club and lean in to the recommendations. I have found some of the best reads of my life that way, and titles I wouldn’t have picked on my own. Otherwise, I’d say go to your local library and ask the librarian to help you find something to get you started.

If you found value in this interview, you should order Someone Else's Child over your local Amazon website. Thank you for reading this post and do revisit our blog. 

Alison's contact details-

Comments